Skip to Main Content


Students from around the world can have a unique and challenging educational experience in Alaska at UAS.

Important Deadlines

Deadline DateDeadline Description

Spring Semester Application Deadline


Summer Semester Application Deadline


Fall Semester Application Deadline

University of Alaska Scholarship Deadline

Apply for Admission

Application Fees: $40 Certificate and Associate; $50 Bachelor. Application fee is non-refundable.

Note: Some programs require additional documents for admission and have different submission deadlines.

Once UAS has received your completed application and additional documents, the UAS Primary Designated School Official (PDSO) will issue you an I-20 form. You can then use this form to apply for an F-1 student visa at a US Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

For more information about F-1 student visas, please visit the US State Department Student Visa website.

International students must submit official transcripts to World Education Services (WES) for evaluation.

WES specifies how to submit academic documents from each country. The typical process is listed below; however, be sure to check the WES website and follow their directions carefully.

  • Create an account with WES
  • Choose ICAP Course-by-Course evaluation for all college/university transcripts
  • For high school transcripts choose an ICAP Document-by-Document evaluation
  • Add UAS as a recipient when creating your WES account.
  • Complete Academic Records Request Form (found on WES website under "Documents Required") and send to your previous school, college, or university.
  • WES will send the completed evaluation electronically to UAS.
  • Once WES receives your documents and has verified their authenticity UAS should have the results in three to four weeks.

Note: If you have completed one year of university level credits (30 semester credits or 45 quarter credits) with a grade of C or better (as reported by WES) you do not need to have your high school transcript evaluated.


UAS Admissions Office
11066 Auke Lake Way
Juneau, AK 99801

Tel: (907) 796-6100
Fax: (907) 796-6002


Novatney Building, Second Floor
11066 Auke Lake Way
Juneau, AK 99801

Ziegler Building
2600 Seventh Ave
Ketchikan, AK 99901

UAS Sitka Campus
1332 Seward Ave
Sitka, AK 99832

UAS accepts unofficial in-progress transcripts (email attachments, printouts, or copies) for early admission for high school seniors. For full admission, UAS requires official copies of final transcripts. To be considered official, transcripts must be mailed/emailed directly from the high school, or from a transcript request service for college transcripts. If you bring your transcript to a UAS campus in person, it must be in a sealed envelope from the school or college.

If English is not your first language, have your Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores sent directly to UAS.

Minimum scores:

  • TOEFL - 80 internet based

  • TOEFL - 550 paper test

  • TOEFL - 213 computer test

  • IELTS - 6.5 out of 8

NOTE: International students who are already inside the U.S. and are applying for admission into a degree program will also have to meet specific requirements for English proficiency. TOEFL, IELTS, UAS Placement Tests, high school or college grades, or a combination of these may be considered.

Elementary or Special Education: Education majors will be working in schools with young children. To be admitted to either major, you must submit an Interested Person Report on yourself. If you are currently working in a school and have a background check on file, have your school send a copy directly to the UAS Admissions Office.

Outdoor Skills and Leadership Certificate: Additional requirements include a physical, a resume or list of relevant experience/skills/certifications, and letters of recommendation. Outdoor Skills and Leadership Certificate Requirements

Additional Documents

Common FAQs

It is recommended that international students apply for admission to the University of Alaska Southeast 6 to 9 months prior to the start of the semester they would like to attend.

The F-1 visa is the most common visa for international students who want to study in the United States at an accredited college or university.

F-2 visas are for an international student's spouse or child (under 21 years of age).

The best place is to visit the US Embassy or consulate website in your country for student visa procedures.

To apply for an F-1 student visa you will need a Form I-20, which you will receive once you have been admitted to UAS.

After you receive your Form I-20 you can make an appointment for a visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or consulate in your country to apply for a student visa.

It is best to apply for your student visa as early as possible, as the process can take a while.

Your visa can be issued to you up to 120 days prior to your reporting date.

During the interview be prepared to answer questions regarding ties to your home country, your English language skills, your academic background, the UAS program you have been admitted to and proof of your financial ability to cover your college costs.

The UAS Designated School Official (DSO) provides international students with the Form I-20 only after:

  • the student has been admitted to an approved UAS degree program; and
  • the student has provided evidence that they can meet all of the costs associated with the degree program.

Due to possible delays or issues that may arise, it is recommended that you do not make your travel arrangements until you have received your F-1 student visa.

You can enter the United States with your F-1 student visa up to 30 days prior to the beginning date on your Form I-20.

Your student visa will show the dates it is valid through.

Remember that your visa stamp in your passport must be valid when you are entering or re-entering the United States.

  • Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
    PO Box 92970
    Milwaukee, WI 53202-0970
    Tel: 414-289-3000
    Fax: 414-289-3411
  • World Education Services, Inc.
    PO Box 745 Old Chelsea Station
    New York, NY 10113-0745
    Tel: 212-966-6311
    Fax: 212-966-6395

All international students for whom English is not their first language must submit official test scores for one of the following:

TOEFL - 550 paper test, or

TOEFL - 213 computer test, or

TOEFL - 80 internet based, or

IELTS - 6.5 out of 8

Note: International students who are already inside the US and are applying for admission into a degree program will also have to meet specific requirements for English proficiency.

A Sister City is an agreement between the University of Alaska and a foreign country that allows residents from the locations listed below to qualify for in-state tuition as an international student.

Students from the following locations will receive resident tuition rates:

CountryCity or Province
CanadaWhitehorse Yukon Territory, Inuvik Northwest Territory
ChinaHarbin, Heilongjiang Province
Great BritainWhitby, England
JapanChitose, Hokkaido Prefecture, Kanayama, Nemuro,
MongoliaErdenet City
NorwayHammerfest, Mo, Tromso
TaiwanChiayi Township
RussiaKhabarovsk Region, Magadan, Mirnyy, Noglicki, Okha, Providenya, Yukutsk, Vladivostok, Yelisovo

For application questions for international students, please contact Deema Ferguson, the UAS Admissions Coordinator, at 907-796-6460 or by email at

For registration questions for international students, please contact Marsha Squires, the UAS International Student Advisor, at 907-796-6455 or by email at