UAS is proud to provide two scholarship programs to eligible undergraduate students to assist in housing costs: the Chancellor's Award and the Alaska Leadership Initiative.
This merit-based scholarship is awarded to new full-time students (whether first-time students or transfers) based upon academic achievement. The award covers partial costs of on-campus housing for a new student's first year at UAS. Incoming students with a 3.5 or higher GPA are eligible. Awards are applied to student accounts automatically with no application required.
Please be aware that if your housing is covered by third-party funding, this award will be removed.
AL-I is a two-tier, two-semester leadership program at UAS. AL-I participants positively impact their campus, career, and community. Participants meet for one hour each week for 10-12 weeks each semester and are eligible to receive $2000 to apply toward the cost of housing at UAS.
Students who participate in AL-I will:
- Enhance their resume with theoretical knowledge, practical skills and experiential leadership;
- Articulate a personal, demonstrated leadership style;
- Learn skills that enhance their ability to build relationships and to manage an organization or team;
- Improve their communication skills, critical thinking skills, problem analysis results and management skills;
- Lead a team through the successful design, planning, completion and assessment of a project.
Tier 1 (Fall semester): Learn the concepts and basic skills of personal leadership development. Complete a presentation, participate in a service project, and attend group meetings. Earn a Certificate of Excellence and AL-I shirt.
Tier 2 (Spring semester): Learn to lead within a group. Develop and implement a campus-wide service project, create a summary presentation, and attend group meetings. Earn a Certificate of Excellence and AL-I mug.
The Leadership Award covers $1,000 for the Fall semester and $1,000 for the Spring semester that recipients may use for unmet costs of housing at the UAS Juneau campus. This award is not renewable, deferrable, or redeemable for cash. Please note - there is a limited number of awards. Applicants will be rated on GPA and an essay.
Terms & Conditions
In order to receive and remain eligible for the Leadership award, students must:
- Be a UAS Housing resident in good standing with the Department of Residence life;
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.50;
- Maintain a full-time course load (typically 15 credits per semester) for the academic year;
- Meet with an academic advisor at least once before classes begin each semester;
- Meet all of the conditions of the Alaska Leadership Initiative (AL-I) program and participate in all of the program's academic and social programming. Please note - UAS reserves the right to cancel part or all of a Leadership Award if room charges are satisfied by another resource or are removed from the recipient's account.
All first-time freshman and transfer students admitted into a UAS degree or certificate program are eligible to apply.